VPN client software for MacOS from Apple
A VPN is useful if you travel with your MacBook and work with confidential information. The VPN encrypts the traffic and the IP address, so your online activities and data remain secret.
Possible application scenarios are:
- an employee in the field retrieves sensitive company data from outside the company
- you can fully access censored websites e.g. websites within China
- in the WLAN café you connect to the VPN client to surf securely
- When traveling, one establishes a VPN connection to a server in the home country. Popular series and channels are available.
VPN Mac Download
MacOS users choose between different VPN apps. Here, the security, speed, degree of encryption, and compatibility are especially important.
Here you can download the gold standard among VPNs the OpenVPN. We work exclusively with the OpenVPN, which runs for all Apple devices and operating systems. A connection can also be established for smartphones.
Check compatibility with macOS
Not every VPN delivers what it promises. The VPN must match the operating system. Does your VPN of choice offer a VPN app in the Appstore? Is the VPN compatible for
the following devices:
- MacBook Air
- MacBook Retina
- MacBook Pro
these operating systems:
- OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion
- OS X 10.9 Mavericks
- OS X 10.10 Yosemite
- OS X 10.11 El Capitan
- macOS 10.12 Sierra
- macOS 10.13 High Sierra
- macOS 10.14 Mojave
- macOS 10.15 Catalina
- macOS 11.0 Big Sur
- older operating systems like macOS and OSX
Surf safely now
Our DN8 PrivacyCube
Install VPN for Mac in 5 easy steps
The OpenVPN protocol is not built into macOS. A client software allows to send the data encrypted through the OpenVPN tunnel as well as to decrypt the return traffic.
The official client program is called “ OpenVPN Connect Client “. It is delivered with the OpenVPN Access Server.
Instructions OpenVPN for Mac with OpenVPN Connect Client
- Log in to the OpenVPN Access Server as a user.
- Click on the Apple icon. The program will download and open by itself. Opens the “OpenVPN Connect installer” in the Doc
- Download the OpenVPN Connect v3 client for macOS
- Go through the installation process by clicking “Next” and accept the user conditions. The “installer file” can be moved to the recycle bin
- You can now eject the “Installer”.
You can now open the OpenVPN Connect. The complete instructions for the installation of the OpenVPN Connect Client including pictures can be found at here .
Installing VPN for Mac with Tunnelblick Client Software
The free Tunnelblick client software, also open source, is an alternative to the OpenVPN Connect client.
Instructions Tunnelblick client software for Mac
- Follow the download link for OpenVPN
- Place the OpenVPN configuration files with the extension *.ovpn, (or .conf or .tblk) on the desktop.
- Load Tunnel vision down. Open the dmg file and double-click Tunnelblick > Open > Next > OK.
- In the “Welcome to Tunnelblick” window click on “I have configuration files” > OK
- Move the configuration files of OpenVPN to the tunnel view icon in the menu bar. A plus sign must appear for this.
- In the next window click “Apply to all” > “For this user only” > OK
- To establish a VPN connection, click the Tunnelblick icon (in the top right menu) and select the server.
- Enter your VPN credentials > OK
- Click “Disconnect” if you want to end the VPN connection.
How to set up the VPN for Mac
The most important function of our VPN for Mac
The new OpenVPN Connect client software version 3 offers high compatibility for Windows, macOS, Android and iOS. It is the most widely used VPN in the world.
With DN8, we use OpenVPN as the basis. It is the gold standard among VPN protocols. The open source technology was further developed by us. The key exchange was fully automated, encrypted multiple times and changes daily. This distinguishes us significantly from other VPN providers. The automatic key exchange prevents hackers and intelligence agencies from cracking the VPN key (bruteforcing). Our OpenVPN is thus highly secure!
Other important advantages of OpenVPN are:
- SSL3/TLS protocol
- SSL or TLS for encryption as well as SSL certificates
- many setting possibilities like e.g. port change
- Processing of large data packets thanks to 128-bit encryption and AES technology
- High flexibility and secure network
- Easy connection, configuration is not necessary.
DN8’s PrivacyCube is the world’s most secure VPN solution. The OpenVPN is pre-installed on the Cube. The Cube guarantees a daily exchange of keys. Our well-known competitors generate a key once to secure the VPN connection.
Thanks to plug & play technology, no software needs to be pre-installed. Up to 50 users are automatically and securely connected via the WLAN network.
All advantages at a glance:
- Highly secure access to the Internet via AES VPN
- Open W-LAN Security
- Traffic checked for viruses and Trojans
- no tracking of the data
- No data retention
- Plug and Secure System: no configuration
- Application for all MacOS users